United States of America

Home

Site News

YouTube Channel


Mark's Kodak Brownie Hawkeye Page

I bought this camera from a Craigslist seller for $12 bucks. I wanted it because my mother used one to take some of the family photos handed down to me. It was full of white specs, so I downloaded some info and took it apart to clean it. Was easy and looks like new. The shutter got a little sticky, so I oiled the springs and contact points with some very light sewing machine oil, fixing that problem. Unfortunately I put the lens in backwards, which some people like. Examples of that appear below, with an out of focus ring around the center. I opened it up and corrected (flipped) the lens back, and will post results below when they're ready. The camera is really fun to shoot with, I see why some pros actually use this camera exclusively. I also bought the Kodalite flash adapter (with original box and plastic diffuser / shield) for $14 at another thrift shop. Had a pair of original carbon batteries in it that had NOT leaked. I saved them.
7-7-23: Bought a copy stand and a light box to digitize larger negatives with.

My pics of the camera:
Click any pic to enlarge full screen in a new tab. Close tab to return.

The Kodalite flash cost more than the camera:
With Kodalite Flash
Tests from first test roll, with lens installed backwards.

5-16-23 Second test roll with the lens in right. First I developed them badly. Wrong dilution or temp maybe. Over or under-developed? Unfortunately my plan for scanning them was a dismal failure. So was the backup. This is plan C, where I put the negative on my flatbed scanner with the glass from a picture frame on top, then shine a desklamp on it. I'm not sure if all these spots are dust or artifacts from imaging this way. They have been heavily processed to even see them, but you get an idea of the lens quality and focal length. I'm going to need a 120 film scanner. I see already they're fewer in number and more expensive. The dog was always moving fast. Unless sleeping this camera would never get a sharp picture of him. That's not my car, but made a good sharpness test. This was the first roll I was able to reel correctly so no frames were ruined.

10-11-23: Here's how I mount the camera on a tripod. I bought this clamp on Amazon with a $10 plastic copy stand for cell phones. Turns out you can buy this cell-phone mount for around five bucks alone. With no modifications to your camera you can mount it to a standard tripod screw. You can't throw it over your shoulder like a shovel, I usually hold the camera on the mount / tripod while moving with it. And you can't clamp it too tight or you'll crack the camera. Just tight enough to keep it from slipping out. Some gaffer's tape under the jaws might give it more grip without leaving any marks or glue. You could also use a couple of rubber bands if you're nervous. I found it works fine by itself.

2-23-24: Here's the latest roll of Ilford 120 film, ASA 100. This roll is the first of this film developed in Caffenol-C, for 11 minutes. They came out very thin, and I guess it should have been developed longer. To eliminate water spots they were spun in my salad spinner, and blown dry while hanging with a $5 fan. All these images were retouched (increased contrast and brightness) with GNU, rotated and cropped with Eye of Mate (both Linux programs). They were scanned with my Sony digital camera, while laying on a light board. To prevent dust or fingerprints I handled them only with disposable gloves. It was a sunny day in the 50's, perfect for lingering over each shot. They were all taken on a tripod, using the cellphone clamp to hold the camera. I don't trust the clamp completely, and keep my hands on the camera all the time. The shutter is so quiet I wasn't sure it was working. Here are all 12 shots.

Copyright © 2002-2024. Unauthorized use not permitted.